Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fear and Loathing

There seems to be a lot of bugs around here lately. The girls, oddly enough, love em. I tolerate them, outside, with the exception of the caterpillar in a jar and a ladybug, which was kinda fun.
A few days ago I was outside with the girls when Eli noticed a bug on our fence. Upon the discovery of said bug I quickly made my way inside and didn't go back out the rest of the night. I'm sure you're now dying to know what creepy crawly made me want to confine myself...

A preying mantis. I HATE these things with a passion and can honestly say there's not much else that scares me as much as they do. The fall of my junior year in high school (or maybe my senior year?) there seemed to be more of these insects than normal. At a football game one night a friend noticed one on my pant leg. He brushed it off before I had time to think about it, thankfully, but I still had the heebee jeebees the rest of the night. That same year my dad brought one in the house. I kept telling him to keep it away, to take it outside etc...the horrid beast ended up chasing me down the hall, people! I got to my room and slammed the door shut but since that year preying mantis's and I don't get along. I've had a few run-ins since then, probably the most memorable was when Sandy thought I was going to jump over the stairwell at our apartment when we were first married. I hadn't noticed the stairs were covered with them until I reached the top. Not a good night. So now you know one of my biggest fears. A not so little, really quite ugly, completely gross preying mantis.

No comments: