Saturday, July 3, 2010

Just When, Exactly, is the Fourth of July?

Just when, exactly, is the fourth of July? The answer to this question seems to be missing this year. I always thought it was obvious.

The following is the definition of Independence Day as found on Merriam-Webster.com:

"a civil holiday for the celebration of the anniversary of the beginnings of national independence; specifically : July 4 observed as a legal holiday in the United States in commemoration of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in 1776."

I would encourage everyone to brush up a bit on our Nation's history by reading the article found at the link I've provided. http://www.pbs.org/capitolfourth/history.html

So just when should the Fourth of July be celebrated? I guess what it comes down to is it's a personal choice for everyone, just like everything else. And how lucky we are to have that FREEDOM!! For me and my family, we will be celebrating the Fourth of July on the Fourth of July, just as we would be celebrating Christmas Day on Christmas Day, or New Years Eve on New Years Eve, if those were to fall on a Sunday. Understandably, one could argue semantics when it comes to the Sabbath Day and Christmas verses the Fourth of July. I, for one, am grateful for the opportunity afforded me to have the freedom to practice the religion I choose. It can be humbling to remember that without one we may not have the other. So, of course, it is cause for celebration!

*Updated* Thought I'd add a few of our pictures we took while celebrating.


The girls with Grandpa & Grandma Moser-
watching a few of the noisy fireworks.


One of the tanks "shot" Sandy so the girls
were making sure he was okay.


Livi with a sparkler-she has the potential to be
quite the little pyro.


While patiently waiting for it to get dark to watch the bigger stuff
Livi unexpectedly fell asleep for the rest of the night! Guess she
had her fill of excitement.


Eli and Sandy watching a fountain


More sparklers. Sandy found some that were something like 3 ft long-
pretty cool!


Sandy showing us how to work the sparklers, hahaha!

1 comment:

Lacy said...

Wow! Those sparklers are awesome I bet they burned forever. Glad the fourth was a hit for everyone!

Jer and Lacy