Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Best Friend

Last week we made a new friend. She is an absolute sweetheart and adores the girls. Of course, the girls have grown quite fond of her as well. We hope this friendship lasts a long, long time!




Eliana and Olivia named her Angel Cake ("because she's so sweet", they said). Angel more or less ended up choosing us; she just showed up out of nowhere one day while the girls were playing outside. I was in the kitchen and heard Livi screaming, waited a few minutes to see if I needed to interject, and sure enough she kept it up. I thought I was going to go out and find her in a fit because of something Eli did (or didn't) do but ended up finding her in the garage hiding and crying hysterically. Eli then came running in proclaiming, "MOM! THERE'S A DOG!!!" and sure enough, right behind her was a dog. This made Livi even more hysterical and she ended up literally jumping all the way up into my arms (okay, it may not be that far of a jump due to my size but for a 2 year old, it was quite the leap). Apparently, Livi wasn't a big fan of the visitor.

I had the girls stay in the house since we didn't know anything about the dog; she had a collar but no tags, and she was really apprehensive around me. Eventually, I deemed the dog safe enough to play with but we avoided feeding her so we weren't encouraging her stay any more than we had to. Once Livi had a while to warm up to the dog it was all we could do to get her, and Eli, to come back inside for the night. Sandy and I thought she'd disappear by morning but we found her on our front porch the next morning, right where we'd left her the night before. We gave her another day to move on but she had other plans I guess. Sandy ended up taking pictures around to all of our surrounding neighbors in hopes of finding her owner but no one claimed her. So now we have a dog.

Sandy and I had talked about getting a dog. In fact, we wanted a Blue Healer mix and lucked out since she appears to be a Healer, Australian Shepherd mix of sorts. Where, at first she was afraid of me, and even more of Sandy (we wonder if she was abused at all due to her reaction to us) she has really warmed up to us after a week of being here and seems to be quite the loyal mutt. She portrays some protective, but not aggressive, qualities and so far, the only bad habit we've noticed is her chewing on things if left out. So far, no one has come around looking for her so I think it's safe to assume she was dropped off, heard the girls playing, and found her way here. Angel fits in quite well with us. We've all grown attached to her so I hope she's here for the long haul!

1 comment:

manda said...

Hopefully she's not out roaming about to drop some puppies on your porch! Then you will have lots of doggies to smooch on! She is cute!